If you have been suffering from periodontal disease, you are certainly not alone. A number of US citizens are pitted with this aliment, which can range from simple gum inflammation to certain serious kinds of diseases resulting to several bigger damages to bone and soft tissues that together support the teeth. Whether you lose your teeth or see its decay along with other issues, the fact of the matter is, the gum diseases can be fatal for health. Our mouth as we know is a place of bacteria, which needs to be properly flossed and cleaned using a proper paste and toothbrush. However, if these remain, they bring in gum diseases, which can further give you a number of risk factors that are discussed in this post.
Gum disease dangers
There are many people who are simply not aware about the gum diseases. You can even experience them without getting symptoms. However, the below listed symptoms or dangers are commonly noticed in the presence of gum disease:
- Red, swollen and red gums that
- Bleeding from the gums while you brush/ floss your teeth
- Gums getting pulled off from the teeth
- Loose teeth
- Change the way teeth fits together while you bite
- A pus in between teeth and gums
- Loads of pain while chewing
- Teeth getting too much sensitive
- Partial dentures without longer fitting
- Bad breath even while you brush your teeth
What’s the damage?
With the stick bacterial plague that is found over your teeth, you can find bleeding and inflamed gums, which hamper your oral health. As per recent reports, the presence of bacteria in your mouth can lead to other issues like dementia and heart attack, which can easily jeopardize your overall health. The plaque is formed when one consumes beverages/foods with sugars; this is when the bacteria release the acids that in turn attack your tooth enamel. With this, the gum tissues are seen pulling away from your teeth thus allowing the bacteria destroying the supporting bone over the teeth.
One of the basic aims of the treatment of gum diseases is to control the infection. The fact of the matter is there are several types of treatment, which can vary from one to the other as per the kind of gum disease infection. Any kind of treatment would involve taking care of the patients at home. Well, let’s check some of the common prevention methods of gum disease:
- Deep Cleaning (Scaling & Root Planing): The dentist, dental hygienist or periodontist simply removes the plaque with deep cleaning option known as scaling and root planing. Scaling deals with scraping away the tartar from the gum line. The root planning helps in making the rough spots over the tooth root wherein the germs are collected and then removed that contribute this disease. In some cases, you will find the laser being used to remove the plaque. This procedure is free from bleeding, swelling and pain as compared to the traditional method of cleaning.
- Medications: One of the common options to treat the gum disease is medications. However, this is more used in the initial stage, while in most of the advance cases, surgical options are considered. As per the long term studies, the use of medications simply reduces the need of having surgery. The doctors can prescribe a number of medications for the same.
- Surgical Treatment: If nothing works, surgical options are chosen to treat the patient suffering from the menace called gum disease. There are types of surgeries common in gum disease treatment. These include the flap surgery and second are the bone and tissue grafts. The former is required for addressing the inflammation and deep pockets treatment, while the second one deals with making the bones strong with the techniques of bone grafting.