In today’s time Dental Cavities are among the world’s most common oral health problems. These problems can be seen in people of any age. Dental Cavities are also known as Dental Caries, which is nothing but the holes in the teeth. These holes and damage to the teeth are caused due to the aids maid by bacteria that leads to Demineralization and destruction of the hard tissues of the tooth.
There are various factors that increase the risk of getting cavities, which includes the food that sticks to your teeth for a long time, poor oral hygiene, dry mouth, repeated snacking or sipping receiving less fluorides, etc.
Depending upon the type of tooth problem, the signs and symptoms of the cavity may vary. Some of the most common symptoms of cavities are toothache, sensitivity, slight pain while eating or drinking, visible holes in the infected tooth and black, white or brown stains on the surface of the tooth.
7 TIPS TO REDUCE DENTAL CAVITIES NATURALLY
There are certain natural tips that can help in reducing dental cavities and maintain good oral health. They are:
- Avoid sugary foods, especially those with refined sugar: Sugar is an integral part of our food and we cannot avoid it completely, but the usage of refined sugar should be avoided as much as possible because it is more likely to develop plaque in which the bacteria easily grows. After eating foods which are rich in sugar, you should rinse your mouth with water so that the excess sugar is washed off and not available as the food for bacteria to grow. Sticky foods rich in sugar should also be avoided as it stays on the surface of the tooth for a long time and the growth of the bacteria is catalyzed.
- Ensure Nutritious foods: Maintain a diet which nutritious, healthy and rich in vitamins such as vitamin A, D, E and K and other minerals in order to keep your teeth cavity free. Calcium is very beneficial for your teeth as a result, it is suggested to consume dairy products, almonds, soy products and dark leafy vegetables. Vitamin D maintains the balance of calcium and phosphate in the bones and teeth, as a result coconut milk, cow milk, eggs and yogurt should be added to the diet.
- Xylitol: Xylitol is a sugar alcohol which is safe for teeth. It has many dental health benefits. It prevents the growth of bacteria in the mouth. Xylitol being the natural sweetener does not convert into acids that cause tooth decay. It decreases levels of decay causing bacteria in the mouth. Add xylitol as a sweetener to some food items or use chewing gums that have xylitol. Dentists also recommend usage of xylitol toothpastes as it helps in reducing dental cavities naturally.
- Take foods that break down plaque: Dental plaque is the worst and the most common oral health problem. It causes tooth erosion and decay. Dentists suggest the intake of foods that break down plaque. Apple, cheese, green tea, cranberry juice, dry fruits and nuts and fiber rich foods help breakdown the plaque. Intake of these foods suppresses the plaque development in the mouth.
- Proper cleaning habits: Keeping your teeth and mouth clean is the easiest and essential way of reducing dental cavities. You should brush your teeth at least twice a day and should also clean your tongue as the tongue can also carry bacteria and food particles. You should also use floss to remove bacteria from places which are hard to reach through brushing. As these bacteria deposit may lead to the tooth cavity and hence it is suggested to follow proper cleaning habits.
- Avoid carbonated beverage and acidic food: Soda contains high amount of sugar while diet soda contains phosphorus and carbonation which destroys the enamel on your teeth. Many energy drinks and bottled iced teas also contain high amount of sugar and carbonation which is unhealthy for the teeth. Lemons, citrus fruits and other acidic foods also cause cavity if kept for a longer period in the mouth. You should use a straw if you prefer regular intake of carbonated beverages in order to avoid it’s too much contact to the teeth.
- Drink plenty of water: Water not only washes away the bacteria, but also keeps you hydrated so you can keep producing enough saliva. Water with fluoride is considered best for the oral health. It also dilutes away the acids which are produced by the bacteria in the mouth. Low saliva supply can cause dry mouth which can cause tooth decay; therefore it is advisable to drink plenty of water to avoid the risk of tooth decay.
When the tooth enamel gets affected by the deposits of acid caused by the proliferation of bacteria on the teeth, a dental cavity is formed. Dentists normally suggest dental surgeries in order to fill the cavities. However by following the above mentioned tips, you can avoid the chances of dental cavities naturally. Proper oral care and hygiene should also be maintained in order to reduce cavities.